Monday 26 January 2015

Healthy & Delicious Turkey Chili Recipe

Healthy & Delicious Turkey Chili Recipe

I have had a few friends from facebook ask me about my Chili Recipe and to be honest the funny thing is I am the worst cook EVER... almost everything I burn or over cook

... however I have been taking some lessons from a friend and decided to put together my own Turkey Chili Recipe.

I SHOCKED myself at how good it tastes ;) I usually cook very simple but healthy dishes due to my burning almost all foods but I think I will be venturing out of my shell and experimenting more :) 

Yesterday was an active recovery day for me, which means no work out but I had to get my butt out there and get moving. I decided to go on a 1.5 hour walk to get coffee and off to the grocery store for this weeks meal prep. 

Turkey Chili Recipe

  • Pre cook 2 packs of turkey 
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes blended... I don't like big chunks of tomatoes 
  • 1 can of white beans, they aren't filled with a sugary syrup in the can 
  • 1 can of kidney beans, drained 
  • 1 pepper of any colour chopped 
  • 2 celery stalks 
  • corn (if you choose) 
  • 5 gloves of minced garlic 
  • 1/2 C of chopped up onions 
  • 1/4 C of chili powder
  • 1tsp cumin powder
  • 1 TBSP black peper
  • pinch of salt 
  • pinch of cayenne pepper if you like 
  • 3tbsp of olive oil 

After cooking the turkey I let it sit on top of a strainer for a few minutes to ensure as much of the fat had dripped out as possible. 

In a deep sauce pan warm your oil up. Add in the spices and then about 1/8 of the crushed tomatoes. Add in the peppers and the celery. Let this simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes to cook the veggies and open up the flavours of the spices, garlic and onions. 

Add in the rest of the ingredients, cook on low until it is your desired temperate and serve! The lower you let the spices open up the better it is going to taste. I let mine simmer for about an hour after having my first bowl and I have to admit the chili today tasted even better.

If it is too thick for your liking add in tomato paste and a little water. 

I made a big pot of rice to put in the fridge so whenever I am hungry I have my rice and chili ready to go :) 

Hope you enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment